Link to Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/V_Brancato
Education Qualification: PhD in “Materials engineering and chemical”
Current Education Qualification: Research Fellow
Full personal data, studies, and professional experience:
Born in Messina in 1985. She was awarded a Master’s Degree in Materials Engineering (61/S) on 27 April 2009 receiving a final mark of 110/110 summa cum laude at the University of Messina. Licensed to practice as an Engineer – Industrial Field (section A) and she has been a member of the Society of Professional Engineers of Messina since February 2010.
Mrs. Brancato was awarded a PhD Scholarship at the University of Messina in “Materials Engineering and Chemical” and she earned her PhD on 12 April 2013, dissertation title “Study and characterization of nanocomposites containing carbon nanotubes”. Within her PhD studies she studied (thermoplastics and thermosetting) polymer matrix composites and nanocomposites for mechanical and medical application.
After her PhD, she earned a Professional Scholarship at the Italian National Research Council – Microelectronics and Microsystems Institute (CNR – IMM) of Catania, title “Expert on Microscopic and electric characterisation of solar cells materials techniques”.
After the Scholarship, she earned – and she is currently holding – a research fellowship at the National Research Council- Advanced Technologies for Energy Institute “Nicola Giordano” in Messina (CNR – ITAE) on the topic “Chemical/physical characterisation of adsorbent materials and its usage on adsorption refrigerator”.
The scientific activity, as carried out in the national and international program framework, in collaboration with industries and research teams, focuses on the study and characterisation of materials employed for thermal energy storage and transformation. In particular, Mrs. Brancato’s scientific interest is oriented to the study of the materials employed on adsorption heat pumps and high density thermal energy storage systems (e.g.: thermo-chemical or latent heat storage).
Within the research on adsorption heat pumps, Mrs. Brancato studies, develops and characterises advanced microporous materials (e.g.: zeolite, activated charcoal) through various characterisation techniques such as adsorption isobars and isosteres measure, surface area and pore distribution measure (BET technique), adsorption kinetics measure, x-ray diffraction anaylisis (XRD), FT-IR technique, SEM-EDX analysis. Mrs. Brancato’s research focuses mainly on the optimisation of materials to improve the energy efficiency of systems where they are employed. To that end, Mrs. Brancato collaborates with the other team members to testing lab-scale prototypes. Within the work relating to thermal storage systems, the research activity concerns the following topics: characterisation of phase change and thermo-chemical materials through DSC/TG technique, thermal conductivity, SEM analysis, as well as design and realisation of lab-scale storage systems prototypes.
Mrs. Brancato is currently author of around 15 publications on international magazine, 25 national and international publications relating to conference proceedings, 16 technical reports.
List of the most recent publications
- CALABRESE, V. BRANCATO; L. BONACCORSI; A. FRAZZICA; A. CAPRÌ; A. FRENI; E. PROVERBIO, “Development and characterization of silane-zeolite adsorbent coatings for adsorption heat pump applications”, Applied Ther, a Engineering, 2017, Vol. 116, pp. 364-371, (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.01.112)
- BRANCATO; A. FRAZZICA; A. SAPIENZA; A. FRENI, “Identification and characterization of promising phase change materials for solar cooling applications”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 2017, Vol. 160, pp. 225-232, (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2016.10.026)
- GALTIERI, A. VISCO, D. IANNAZZO, A. PISTONE, V. BRANCATO, “How the use of solvent affects the mechanical behavior of polyester resin/carbon nanotubes nanocomposites”, Journal of Composite Materials, published on line 26 August 2016, (doi: 10.1177/0021998316665239)
- SAPIENZA, G. GULLÌ, L. CALABRESE, V. PALOMBA, A. FRAZZICA, V. BRANCATO, D. LA ROSA, S. VASTA, A. FRENI, L. BONACCORSI, G. CACCIOLA, “An innovative adsorptive chiller prototype based on 3 hybrid coated/granular adsorbers”, Applied Energy 2016, Vol. 179, pp. 929-938 (doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.07.056)
- BRANCATO, L. GORDEEVA, A. SAPIENZA, A. FRENI, A. FRAZZICA, “Dynamics study of ethanol adsorption on microporous activated carbon for adsorptive cooling applications”, Applied Thermal Engineering 2016, Vol. 105, pp. 28-38 (doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.05.148)
- FRAZZICA, V. PALOMBA, B. DAWOUD, G. GULLÌ, V. BRANCATO, A. SAPIENZA, S. VASTA, A. FRENI, F. COSTA, G. RESTUCCIA,“Design, realization and testing of an adsorption refrigerator based on activated carbon/ethanol working pair”, “Applied Energy”, Volume 174, 2016, pp. 15–24 (doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.04.080)
- A.M. VISCO, A. PISTONE, V. BRANCATO, D. IANNAZZO, M. FAZIO “Mechanical and Physical Properties of Epoxy Resin Based Nanocomposites Reinforced With Polyamine Functionalized Carbon Nanotubes” “Polymer composites” 2016, Vol. 37 (4), pp 1007-1015 (doi: 10.1002/pc.23260)
- BRANCATO; A. FRAZZICA; A. SAPIENZA; L. GORDEEVA; A. FRENI “Ethanol adsorption onto carbonaceous and composite adsorbents for adsorptive cooling system” – “Energy” Volume 84, 1 May 2015, Pages 177–185 (doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.02.077)
- A.M. VISCO , N. CAMPO, V. BRANCATO, M. TRIMARCHI, “Influence of the α-tocopherol load and the annealing treatment on the wear resistance of biomedical UHMWPE radiated with electron beam” – “International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization (IJPAC)”, 2013, vol. 18, pp. 545–556 (doi: 10.1080/1023666X.2013.819545)
- BRANCATO, A.M. VISCO, , A. PISTONE, A. PIPERNO, D. IANNAZZO “Effect of functional groups of MWCNTs on the mechanical, thermal and electrical performance of epoxy resin based nanocomposites” – “Journal of Composite Materials”, 2013 vol. 47 (24), pp. 3091-3103 (doi:10.1177/0021998312462431)