Job Level III level (Top rank)
Link to ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Frazzica
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9904-0325
Education Qualification: Master’s Degree in Materials Engineering
Current Education Qualification: Fixed-term contract Reseacher.
Full personal data, studies, and professional experience:
Born in Messina in 1984. BA in Industrial Engineering, “Materials” course at the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Messina earned in 2006 receiving a final mark of 110/110 cum laude. Master’s Degree in Materials Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Messina earned in 2008 receiving a final mark of 110/110 cum laude. PhD in Materials Engineering and Chemical at the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Messina earned in 2012. From 2008 to 2013 he collaborated with the National Research Council – Advanced Technologies for Energy Institute (CNR-ITAE) – based in Messina as a research fellow and research research assistant. Since 2013, he has been a fixed-term contract Researcher pursuant to Article 23 of the Presidential Decree 171/91 at the above mentioned Institute.
He carries out the scientific activity dedicated to the development of advanced technologies for thermal energy storage and transformation. In such context, an activity of particular relevance is the development of materials and components for thermal energy fed heat pumps and chillers and high density thermal energy storage systems (e.g.: thermochemical and latent systems).
Within the framework relating to the development of thermal energy fed heat pumps the main areas of interest are: development and characterisation of advanced microporous adsorbent materials, optimisation of components through numerical simulation and experimental characterisation, lab-scale prototype realisation and test, development of system models through commercial software (e.g. TRNSYS) for evaluating the integration of heat pumps in fossil and renewable sources fed plants and systems. With the framework relating to thermal storage, the main activities concern the following topics: characterisation of phase change and thermo-chemical materials through lab techniques (e.g. DSC/TG, physisorption, SEM analysis, thermal conductivity), design through detailed numerical modelling, realisation and test of high density energy advanced reactors. Thermal storage system modelling.
He is the author of 20 publications on international magazines, more than 30 publications on national and international conference proceedings, 1 book, 1 chapter of a book, and 2 national patents.
Honorary fellowship within the following subjects: Energy Machines and Systems, Energy and Technical Physics at the Faculty of Engineering at the E-campus University.
The scientific activity mainly concerns the study of innovative energy technologies and the employment of renewable energy sources, especially concerning the development of thermal energy fed adsorption heat pumps/air-conditioners, and the energy analysis of complex energy systems (trigenerative and solar powered air-conditioning systems) He published more than 50 scientific works ranging from conference proceedings and publications on international magazines. The scientific activity was carried out according to the national and international program framework, in collaboration with industries and research teams.
Honorary fellowship within the teaching related to “machines and energy systems” and “technical physics” at the faculty of Engineering at the E-Campus University.
List of the most recent publications:
- Dynamics study of ethanol adsorption on microporous activated carbon for adsorptive cooling applications. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 105, 25 July 2016, Pages 28-38. Vincenza Brancato, Larisa Gordeeva, Alessio Sapienza, Angelo Freni, Andrea Frazzica
- Design, realization and testing of an adsorption refrigerator based on activated carbon/ethanol working pair. Applied Energy, Volume 174, 15 July 2016, Pages 15-24. A. Frazzica, V. Palomba, B. Dawoud, G. Gullì, V. Brancato, A. Sapienza, S. Vasta, A. Freni, F. Costa, G. Restuccia
- Comparative analysis of promising adsorbent/adsorbate pairs for adsorptive heat pumping, air conditioning and refrigeration. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 104, 5 July 2016, Pages 85-95. Angelo Freni, Gaetano Maggio, Alessio Sapienza, Andrea Frazzica, Giovanni Restuccia, Salvatore Vasta.
- Prediction of SCP and COP for adsorption heat pumps and chillers by combining the large-temperature-jump method and dynamic modelling. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 98, 5 April 2016, Pages 900-909. Stefan Graf, Franz Lanzerath, Alessio Sapienza, Andrea Frazzica, Angelo Freni, André Bardow.
- Dramatic effect of residual gas on dynamics of isobaric adsorption stage of an adsorptive chiller. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 96, 5 March 2016, Pages 385-390. Alessio Sapienza, Andrea Frazzica, Angelo Freni, Yuri Aristov.
- Analysis of different heat pumping technologies integrating small scale solid oxide fuel cell system for more efficient building heating systems. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 40, Issue 42, 9 November 2015, Pages 14746-14756. A. Frazzica, N. Briguglio, A. Sapienza, A. Freni, G. Brunaccini, V. Antonucci, M. Ferraro.
- SAPO-34 coated adsorbent heat exchanger for adsorption chillers. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 82, 5 May 2015, Pages 1-7. Angelo Freni, Lucio Bonaccorsi, Luigi Calabrese, Angela Caprì, Andrea Frazzica, Alessio Sapienza
- Ethanol adsorption onto carbonaceous and composite adsorbents for adsorptive cooling system. Energy, Volume 84, 1 May 2015, Pages 177-185. V. Brancato, A. Frazzica, A. Sapienza, L. Gordeeva, A. Freni
- Experimental and theoretical analysis of the kinetic performance of an adsorbent coating composition for use in adsorption chillers and heat pumps. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 73, Issue 1, 5 December 2014, Pages 1022-1031. Andrea Frazzica, Gerrit Füldner, Alessio Sapienza, Angelo Freni, Lena Schnabel
- Water adsorption dynamics on representative pieces of real adsorbers for adsorptive chillers. Applied Energy, Volume 134, 1 December 2014, Pages 11-19. Salvatore Santamaria, Alessio Sapienza, Andrea Frazzica, Angelo Freni, Ilya S. Girnik, Yuri I. Aristov.