Link to ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Frazzica
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9904-0325
Education Qualification: Master’s Degree in Materials Engineering
Current Qualification: Full-time Reseacher.
Short C.V. :
- Master degree in Materials Engineering (2008), Engineering Faculty – University of Messina, 110/110 cum laude.
- PhD in Chemistry and Materials Engineering (2012), Engineering Faculty – University of Messina.
- From 2009 to 2013, Research Fellow, at the Istituto per le Tecnologie Avanzate per L’Energia “Nicola Giordano” (CNR-ITAE)
- From 2013 to 2018, Post-doc researcher (art. 23 del D.P.R. 171/91), at the Istituto per le Tecnologie Avanzate per L’Energia “Nicola Giordano” (CNR-ITAE)
- From 2018 (ongoing), Researcher, at the Istituto per le Tecnologie Avanzate per L’Energia “Nicola Giordano” (CNR-ITAE)
Scientific and management activity:
The scientific activity is dedicated to the development of innovative systems for thermal energy storage and transformation, both for residential and industrial applications. This activity ranges from the development and characterization of sorbent and phase change materials, up to the design and testing of components and lab-scale prototypes and at the experimental characterization of performance of near-to-market and commercial heating and cooling devices.
Dr. Frazzica is author of about 50 papers on international peer-reviewed journals, more than 60 publications at national and international conferences, editor of one book, co-authors of two books, holder of two Italian patents.
He was visiting researcher, in the framework of CNR-Short Term Mobility program, at the Fraunhofer Institute ISE of Friburgo, Germany (2010), University of Edinburgh, UK (2014) and University of Regensburg, Germany (2015). Furthermore, he was invited visiting researcher at the University of Lleida, Spain (2017).
He was in charge for the CNR activities in the framework of the Annex 43 “Fuel driven sorption heat pumps” of the IEA-HPT. He participated to the activities of 2 IEA-SHC Tasks (Task 48 and Task 53) on solar cooling technologies. He is currently in charge for the joint Task 58/Annex 33 of IEA-SHC/ECES “Material and component development for Thermal Energy Storage”.
He was in charge for the industrial research projects between CNR-ITAE and Toyota Motor Corporation (Japan), on the analysis of adsorbent materials for thermal energy storage systems on-board (2014-2017). Currently, he is project leader of a bilateral agreement between CNR and University of Malta and of 6 European funded projects, in the framework of the Horizon 2020 program, focused on the development and validation of renewables-driven heating, cooling and storage technologies, bot for residential and industrial sectors.
- Brancato, L.G. Gordeeva, A.D. Grekova, A. Sapienza, S. Vasta, A. Frazzica, Y.I. Aristov – Water adsorption equilibrium and dynamics of LICL/MWCNT/PVA composite for adsorptive heat storage – Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Volume 193, May 2019, Pages 133-140. doi: 10.1016/j.solmat.2019.01.001.
- Palomba, A. Frazzica – Comparative analysis of thermal energy storage technologies through the definition of suitable key performance indicators – Energy and Buildings, Volume 185, 15 February 2019, Pages 88-102. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2018.12.019.
- Palomba, E. Varvagiannis, S. Karellas, A. Frazzica – Hybrid adsorption-compression systems for air conditioning in efficient buildings: Design through validated dynamic models – Energies, Volume 12, Issue 6, 2019, Article number 1161. doi: 10.3390/en12061161.
- Frazzica, V. Brancato – Verification of hydrothermal stability of adsorbent materials for thermal energy storage – International Journal of Energy Research, In press. doi: 10.1002/er.4270.
- Palomba, A. Frazzica – Recent advancements in sorption technology for solar thermal energy storage applications – Solar Energy, In press. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2018.06.102.
- Brancato, L. Calabrese, V. Palomba, A. Frazzica, M. Fullana-Puig, A. Solé, L.F. Cabeza – MgSO4·7H2O filled macro cellular foams: An innovative composite sorbent for thermo-chemical energy storage applications for solar buildings – Solar Energy, Volume 173, 2018, Pages 1278-1286. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2018.08.075.
- Brancato, A. Frazzica – Characterisation and comparative analysis of zeotype water adsorbents for heat transformation applications – Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Volume 180, 2018, Pages 91-102. doi: 10.1016/j.solmat.2018.02.035.
- Palomba, M. Ferraro, A. Frazzica, S. Vasta, F. Sergi, V. Antonucci – Experimental and numerical analysis of a SOFC-CHP system with adsorption and hybrid chillers for telecommunication applications – Applied Energy, Volume 216, 2018, Pages 620-633. doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.02.063.
- Neumann, V. Palomba, A. Frazzica, D. Seiler, U. Wittstadt, S. Gschwander, G. Restuccia – A simplified approach for modelling latent heat storages: Application and validation on two different fin-and-tubes heat exchangers – Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 125, October 2017, Pages 41-52. doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.06.142.
- Brancato, A. Frazzica, A. Sapienza, A. Freni – Identification and characterization of promising phase change materials for solar cooling applications – Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Volume 160, February 2017, Pages 225-232. doi: 10.1016/j.solmat.2016.10.026.
- Frazzica, A. Freni, – Adsorbent working pairs for solar thermal energy storage in buildings – Renewable Energy, Volume 110, September 2017, Pages 87-94. doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2016.09.047