Registration Number 1603
Tel. +39 090 624202
Education Qualification: Public Art Institute of Messina, High School Diploma, 1984
Current Education Qualification: Tenured Research Agency Technical Officer, V Level
Tasks: Tech-Scientific Activity Supporting Research.
1) Development of metal-air batteries based on advanced nanomaterials for automotive applications;
2) Development of nanostructured materials for automotive applications
3) Development of low and high temperature fuel cells (DAFC, PEFC, SOFC);
4) Solar energy conversion (Photoelectrochemical Cells);
5) Development of materials and components for hydrogen production systems;
6) Formulation, synthesis, optimisation of catalysts and membranes;
7) Development of electrodes and MEA for electrochemical devices;
8) Chemical-physical characterisation of catalysts, electrodes and membranes through XRD, XRF, SEM, EDAX, TEM, XPS, UV-Visibile techniques;
9) Electrochemical characterisation of catalysts, electrodes, electrodes, and membranes through polarisation, cyclic voltammetry, chronopotentiometry, chronoamperometry, spectroscopy of complex impedance, ionic and electronic conductivity measures in semi-cells and in single cell-scale test and Stacks stations.
10) Studies on the electro-oxidation of CO and CO/H2 with different electrolites and catalysts.
11) Studies on the adsorption superficial properties of materials with the z.p.c. (zero point of charge) technique”
12) Thin film electrodeposition of FeS2 and studies on corrosion for photo-electrochemical applications.
Such activities are mainly carried out within institutional and European projects, active contracts and international collaborations.
- “Carbon Nanofibers as Advanced Pd Catalyst Supports for the Air Electrode of Alkaline Metal-Air Batteries” Alegre C., MODICA E., Lo Vecchio C., Sebastián D., Lázaro M.J., Aricò A. S., Baglio, V. published on: ChemPlusChem Volume 80, Issue 9, 1 September 2015, Pages 1384-1388, DOI:10.1002/cplu.201500120, ISSN: 21926506, CODEN: CHEMM.
- “Investigation of the activity and stability of Pd-based catalysts towards the oxygen reduction (ORR) and evolution reactions (OER) in iron-air batteries” Alegre C., Stassi A., MODICA E., Lo Vecchio C., Aricò A.S., Baglio V. published on: RSC Advances Volume 5, Issue 32, 2015, Pages 25424-25427, DOI0.1039/c4ra15578e, ISSN: 20462069, CODEN: RSCAC.
- “Preparation and characterisation of Ti oxide based catalyst supports for low temperature fuel cells” Siracusano S., Stassi A., MODICA E., Baglio V., Aricò A.S. pubblicato su: International Journal of Hydrogen Energy Volume 38, Issue 26, 30 August 2013, Pages 11600-11608, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.04.161, ISSN: 03603199, CODEN: IJHED.
- “Performance comparison of portable direct methanol fuel cell mini-stacks based on a low-cost fluorine-free polymer electrolyte and Nafion membrane” Baglio, A. Stassi, E. MODICA, V. Antonucci, A.S. Aricò, P. Caracino, O. Ballabio, M. Colombo, E. Kopnin; published on: Electrochimica Acta, Volume 55, Issue 20, 1 August 2010, Pages 6022-6027, DOI: 10.1016/j.electacta.2010.05.059,ISSN: 00134686, CODEN: ELCAA.
- “A Half Cell Study of Performance and Degradation of Oxygen Reduction Catalysts for Application in Low Temperature Fuel Cells” A.Stassi, E. MODICA, V. Antonucci, A.S. Aricò; published on: Fuel Cells, Volume 9, Issue 3, June 2009, Pages 201-208, DOI: 10.1002/fuce.200800062, ISSN: 16156846.
- “Performance and degradation of high temperature polymer electrolyte fuel cell catalysts” A.S. Aricò, A. Stassi, E. MODICA, R. Ornelas, I. Gatto, E. Passalacqua, V. Antonucci; published on: Journal of Power Sources volume 178, Issue 2, 1 April 2008, Pages 525-536178, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.10.005, ISSN: 03787753, CODEN: JPSOD.
- “Electrochemical analysis of direct methanol fuel cells for low temperature operation” Baglio, V., Di Blasi, A., MODICA, E., Cretì, P., Antonucci, V., Aricò, A.S; published on: International Journal of Electrochemical Science, Volume 1, Issue 2, 2006, Pages 71-79 ISSN: 14523981.
- “Influence of catalyst utilisation on the electrochemical behaviour of low temperature DMFCs” Baglio, V.,Di Blasi, A., MODICA, E., Cretì, P., Antonucci, V., Aricò, A.S.; pubblicato su: Journal of Electrochemical Science, Volume 9, Issue 1, 2006, Pages 41-46 ISSN: 14802422.
- “Electrochemical analysis of high temperature methanol electro-oxidation at Pt-decorated Ru catalysts” Aricò A.S., Baglio V., Di Blasi A., MODICA E., Monforte G. and Antonucci V.; published on: Volume 576, Issue 1, 1 September 2015, Pages 161-169, DOI:10.1016/j.jelechem.2004.10.014, ISSN: 00220728, CODEN: JECHE.
- “Surface properties of inorganic fillers for application in composite membranes-direct ethanol fuel cells” Aricò A.S., Baglio V., Di Blasi A., MODICA E., Antonucci P.L. and Antonucci V.; publishedon: Journal of Power Sources, Volume 128, Issue 2, 5 April 2004, Pages 113-118, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.09.063, ISSN: 03787753, CODEN: JPSOD.