Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ada_Sacca
Education Qualifications and Specializations: Degree in Chemistry, Faculty of Mathematics, Physics, and Natural Sciences – University of Messina, 2001 PhD in “Environmental and Energy Materials” – XVIII cycle, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, 2006. 2nd Level Master’s Degree in “Hydrogen production systems and Fuel cells vehicles”, University of Messina, 2008.
Current Education Qualification: Researcher III level
Scientific activity: 1) Development and characterisation of components for hydrogen-fed (PEFC) Polymeric Electrolyte Fuel Cells, especially the following items: – Pure Nafion-based membranes and composite membranes through the insertion of inorganic materials; S-PEEK and s-PSF based non-perfluorosulfonic membranes; study of parameters relating to membrane preparation, their features, and film processes; – reinforced membranes through the introduction of PET and PEEK based polymeric tissues; – non-perfluorosulfonic polymeric blends membranes containing sulfonic and nitrogenous groups; – chemical-physical and structural characterisation of polymeric film through water retention measures, ion exchange capacity, dimensional stability, swelling, optical microscopy, XRD analysis, thermal analysis measures (TG-DSC, DMA), morphological analysis (SEM-EDX); – MEA assembly and components for fuel cells; electrochemical characterisation of membranes and MEA in terms of ion conductivity in PEFC single cell through polarisation curves, impedance measures, crossover of H2 and cyclic voltammetry, in situ stability and degradation; study and preparation of ionomer to enhance the electrode configuration of MEA for applications on PEFC; – synthesis of inorganic materials and proton conductors (supported and non-supported on inorganic oxides) to be used as a filler for membranes and electrodes; their characterisation (TG-DSC, XRD, solubility measures, pH of % slurry, BET to define the superficial area, elemental analysis (CHNS-O). 2) development and characterisation of components for electrochemical devices, especially the following items: – pure s-PSF and s-PEEK membranes and composite membranes having various degrees of sulfonation for their application on Redox flow Batteries (RFBs); – perfluorosulfonic and polycyclic aromatic membranes for application on electrochemical hydrogen compressors (EHC); – anionic membranes for application in AMFCs; – characterisation of the membranes for their application through the suitable techniques (see number 1).
- A. SACCÀ, A. Carbone, R. Pedicini, G. Portale, L. D’Ilario, A. Longo, A. Martorana and E. Passalacqua “Structural and electrochemical investigation on re-cast Nafion membranes for polymer electrolyte fuel cells (PEFCs) application”, Journal of Membrane Science, 278 (2006)105-11
- A. Saccà, A. Carbone, R. Pedicini, M. Marrony, R. Barrera, M. Elomaa and E. Passalacqua, “Phosphotungstic Acid Supported on a Nano-Powdered ZrO2 as a Filler in Nafion Based Membranes for Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells (PEFCs)”, Fuel Cells, 3-4 (2008) 225-235
- Alessandra Carbone, Ada SACCA’, Concetta Busacca, Patrizia Frontera, Pier Luigi Antonucci and Enza Passalacqua, “Nafion® electro-spun reinforced membranes for PEFC”, Journal for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 11 (2011) 1-7
- A. Alvarez, C. Guzmán, A. Carbone, A. Saccà, I. Gatto, R. Pedicini, E. Passalacqua, R. Nava, R. Ornelas, J. Ledesma-García, L.G. Arriaga, “Composites Membranes Based on Micro and Mesostructured Silica: A Comparison of Physicochemical and Transport Properties”, J. Power Sources 196 (2011) 5394-5401
- G. Giacoppo, A. Carbone, I. Gatto, A. SACCA’, O. Barbera and E. Passalacqua, “Stack operation Using Composite MEAs at 120°C”, Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technologies 9 (2012) 1-8
- A. Saccà, A. Carbone, R. Pedicini, I. Gatto, P. Fracas and E. Passalacqua, “A preliminary investigation on Reinforced Double Layer Nafion Membranes for High Temperature PEFCs Application”, Chem. Phys. Letters 591 (2014) 149–155
- A. Alvarez, C. Guzmán, S. Rivas, J. Ledesma–García, L. G. Arriaga, A. Saccà, A. Carbone, E. Passalacqua, “Composites Membranes based on Nafion/PAMAM Dendrimers for PEFCs”, Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 39 (2014) 16686 – 16693
- Kristina Angjeli, Isabella Nicotera, Maria Baikousi, Apostolos Enotiadis, Dimitrios Gournis, Ada Saccà, Enza Passalacqua, Alessandra Carbone, “Investigation of layered double hydroxide (LDH) Nafion-based composite membranes for high temperature PEFCs”, Energy Conversion and Management 96 (2015) 39 – 46
- Alessandra Carbone, Ada Saccà, Rolando Pedicini, Irene Gatto, Enza Passalacqua, Andrea Romeo, Luigi Monsù Scolaro, Maria Angela Castriciano, “Composite sPEEK-TPyP membranes development for portable applications”, IJHE 40 (2015) 17394 – 17401
- José L. Pineda, Sandra Rivas, Alessandra Carbone, Ada Saccà, Fabio V. Matera, Enza Passalacqua, Abraham U. Chávez-Ramírez, Luis G. Arriaga, Janet Ledesma-García, “Sulfonated polyether-Ether ketone membranes for electrochemical energy systems”, IJHE (2016), under review
- M. Santamaria, C.M. Pecoraro, F. Di Franco, F. Di Quarto, I. Gatto, A. Saccà, Improvement in the performance of low temperature H2-O2 fuel cell with chitosan-phosphotungstic acid composite membranes, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy XXX (2016) 1-7, in press