Training: Degree in Physics at the University of Pisa (AA 1988-89), two-year scholarship at the CNR-ITS (currently IPCF) of Messina (1990-92).
Work experience: military service in Marina (1989-90), secondary school/high school teacher (1992-1995). In December 1995, he set up his own scientific activity at the CNR-ITAE where he is currently undertaking his researches.
He is a member of the CNR-ITAE Institute Council, CNR expert at the TC105-fuel cells of CEI Technical Committee, member of the WG2 and WG11 of the IEC TC105-Fuel Cells.
- Development and characterisation of materials and components for fuel cells, batteries, and supercapacitors;
- Development and characterisation of fuel cells based power systems;
- Development of the equipment, test protocols, and regulations on fuel cells systems;
- Development and characterisation of materials, components, and systems for energy and hydrogen production from waste ad wastewater through the use of bacteria.
- Environmentally friendly Energy technologies applications for energy conversion efficiency.
- Social and economic impact of new energy technologies application.
- “Real-time thermal imaging of solid oxide fuel cell cathode activity in working condition”, R. Montanini, A. Quattrocchi, S.A. Piccolo, A. Amato, S. Trocino, S.C. Zignani, M. Lo Faro, and G. Squadrito – Appl. Optics 55 (2016) 7142-7148
- “Microbial and enzymatic fuel cells”, G. Squadrito, P. Cristiani – Volume 3: Hydrogen Energy Conversion, Chapter 6 in “Compendium of Hydrogen Energy”, Frano Barbir, Angelo Basile, T. Nejat Veziroglu Eds. (2015) pages 147-174 – Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
- “Hydrogen fuel cells technology” di G. Squadrito, L. Andaloro, M. Ferraro and V. Antonucci – Chapter 16 in A. Basile and A. Iulianelli (eds), “Advances in Hydrogen Production, Storage and Distribution” (2014) – Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
- “Activated carbon nanofibers (ACNF) as cathode for single chamber microbial fuel cells (SCMFCs)”, di C. Santoro, A. Stadlhofer, V. Hacker, G. Squadrito, U. Schröder, B. Li – J. Power Sources 243 (2013) 499-507.
- “Measurement of the clamping pressure distribution in polymer electrolyte fuel cells using piezoresistive sensor arrays and digital image correlation techniques”, di R. Montanini, G. Squadrito, G.Giacoppo – J. Pow. Sources 196 (2011) 8484-8493.
- “Optimisation of carbon nanofiber based electrodes for polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells prepared by a sedimentation method”, Eva Wallnöfer, Markus Perchthaler, Viktor Hacker and Gaetano Squadrito – J. Power Sources 188 (2009) 192-198.
- “Polymer electrolyte fuel cell stack research and development”, G. Squadrito, O. Barbera, G. Giacoppo, F. Urbani, E. Passalacqua. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 33 (2008) 1941.
- “Computer aided fuel cell design and scale up – Comparison between model and experimental results”, G. Squadrito, O. Barbera, G. Giacoppo, F. Urbani, E. Passalacqua, Journal of Applied Electrochem. 37 (2007) 87.
- “Polymer electrolyte fuel cell mini power unit for portable application”, G. Squadrito, O. Barbera, G. Giacoppo, F. Urbani, E. Passalacqua, O. Zerbinati, J. of Power Sources 169 (2007) 334.
- “CFD analysis of the flow-field scale-up influence on the electrodes performance in a PEFC”, G. Squadrito, O. Barbera, I. Gatto, G. Giacoppo, F. Urbani, E. Passalacqua – J. Power Sources 152, (2005), 67-74.