The CNR-ITAE Test Centre for the promotion of innovation and energy technology transfer started up according to an Operating Institutional Agreement (Italian acronym AIP) between Ministry for Environment, Land and Sea Protection, Sicily Industry Council and the National Research Council. It aims at creating an infrastructure that is able to offer a support service to the industry related to the development of innovative systems for energy production and environmentally-friendly fuels.
The Centre provides test stations and laboratories to test prototypes and systems for energy production, classrooms and offices for the learning activity as well as professional and post-doctoral training.
The test stations can host different kind of prototypes, such as:
- Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells (Power class 1-5 kW, 10-20 kW and 50 kW for application in the transport field).
- Direct-Alcohol Fuel Cells (Power Class 1-5 kW)
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (Power Class from 1 kW to 5 kW)
- Hydrogen or syngas generators (Power until 50 Nm3/h of H2) based on reforming (SR, ATR, POX, etc.) of liquid and gaseous hydrocarbon and biofuels (biogas, ethyl alcohol).
- Biomass gasifiers and syngas purification lines.
- Cogeneration and trigeneration systems, adsorption heat pumps and hydrogen storage systems with max capacity 1.0 kg of H2.
- Electrolysers connected to wind turbines or photovoltaics systems.
- Systems for transport