Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Irene_Gatto,
ORCID: http:// orcid.org/0000-0001-6950-6788
Education Qualifications and Specializations: Degree in Chemistry, University of Messina, 1998 PhD in Materials Engineering and Chemical earned at the University of Messina earned in 2005.
Current Education Qualification: Researcher III level
– Development and characterisation of components for polymeric electrolyte fuel cells
- preparation techniques of gas diffusion electrodes (GDE) and catalyzed membranes (CM) for polymeric electrolyte fuel cells (PEFC).
- development of low Pt-based electrodes, CO-tolerant electrodes for average temperature and low relative humidity.
- development and characterisation of catalysts for Pt- and Pt-based and its alloys PEFC, supported on carbon materials and non-carbon materials having reduced corrosion.
measurements of electrochemical characterisation in single cell-scale test stations from 5 to 200 cm2 and stack
- electrochemical studies in terms of performance, stability, determination of main electrochemical parameters, accelerated degradation tests on components and commercial and/or lab-realised MEA
- design and realisation of demonstration systems ad test stations for the characterisation of single cells and stacks having power from 10W to 5kW.
- study on the functioning of single cells having different geometries and surfaces (from 5 to 200 cm2) at different operating conditions.
- development of electrodes and MEA that are suitable for being used in stack configuration.
- PEFC stack realisation and test having power within 10W and 5kW, being complete through auxiliary systems and control systems for different applications.
design and realisation of hydrogen storage demonstration systems
- study of oxides-based materials supported on polymer matrix and aiming at carrying out H2 storage.
- H2 storage prototypes realisation
- F. Matera, I. Gatto, A. Patti, E. Passalacqua, Fuel Cell performance assessment for Closed-Loop Journal of Energy Chemistry, DOI: 10.1016/j.jechem.2016.01.017, 2016
- M. Santamaria, C. M. Pecoraro, F. Di Franco, F Di Quarto, I. Gatto, A. Saccà, Improvement in the performance of low temperature H2-O2 fuel cell with chitosan-phosphotungstic acid composite membranes, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, DOI:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.01.133, 2016
- A. Donnadio, M. Pica, A. Carbone, I. Gatto, T. Posati, G. Mariangeloni, M. Casciola, Double Filler Reinforced Ionomer: A New Approach to the Design of Composite Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications, J. Mater. Chem. A, 3, 23530–23538, 2015
- A. Carbone, A. Saccà, R. Pedicini, I. Gatto, E. Passalacqua, A. Romeo, L. Monsù Scolaro, M. A. Castriciano, Composite sPEEK-TPyP membranes development for portable applications, Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40, 17394-17401, 2015.
- R. Pedicini; F. Matera, G. Giacoppo, I. Gatto, E. Passalacqua, Performance assessment of an integrated PEFC and an hydrogen storage device based on innovative material, Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40, 17388-17393, 2015.
- I. Gatto, A. Stassi, V. Baglio, A. Carbone, E. Passalacqua, A. S. Aricò, M. Schuster, B. Bauer, Optimization of perfluorosulphonic ionomer amount in gas diffusion electrodes for PEMFC operation under automotive conditions, Electrochimica Acta, 165, 450–455, 2015.
- A. Stassi, I. Gatto, A. Saccà, V. Baglio and A. S. Aricò, Enhancement of Oxygen Reduction and Mitigation of Ionomer Dry-Out by Using Insoluble Heteropoly Acids in the Catalytic Layer of Intermediate Temperature Polymer-Electrolyte Fuel Cells, Energies, 8(8), pp 7805-7817, 2015.
- A. Stassi, I. Gatto, V. Baglio, A. S.Aricò, Evaluation of Palladium-based electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction and hydrogen oxidation in intermediate temperature polymer electrolyte fuel cells, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 39, pp 21581–21587, 2014.
- R. Pedicini, B. Schiavo, P. Rispoli, A. Saccà, A. Carbone, I. Gatto, E. Passalacqua, Progress in polymeric material for hydrogen storage application in middle conditions, Energy 64, 607-614, 2014.
- A. Saccà, R. Pedicini, A. Carbone, I. Gatto, P. Fracas, E. Passalacqua, A preliminary investigation on reinforced double layer Nafion membranes for high temperature PEFCs application, Chem. Phys. Letters, 591 149-155, 2014.